Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Farting Around

I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you different.
-- Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country (2005)

After a late start to Santa Barbara to avoid commute traffic, I pulled off Highway 101 at Laurel Drive (Exit 330) in Salinas for lunch. Turning right and continuing straight ahead for half a mile on Calle del Adobe, I drove unexpectedly into a park containing the Boronda Adobe, an adobe building built between 1844 and 1848 and maintained by the Monterey County Historical Society. I had never heard of the Boronda Adobe. I had simply pulled off the highway and was taking a quick look around for any city park where I could eat my lunch and perhaps strike up a conversation with a local. I was delighted to discover quite by accident a piece of California history I hadn't known about. This is for me one of the great joys of being able to fart around, stopping as inclination, rather than plan, dictates. For most of my life I have had to fart around within the context of a job. This is much better. It's so much fun for me to drift from one thing to another while traveling in the Class B. This is not to suggest that I don't plan for my trips; I do, but that I can change direction within the plan on a whim.

Also located at the park were recently dedicated memorials to the 105 men of Company C 194th Tank Battalion from the Salinas and Pajaro Valleys. Of the 105 men, six were lost in combat and 52 died during the infamous Bataan Death March, in the holds of ships while being transported to Japan and China, and in prison and labor camps. Only 47 of the original 105 men returned to the United States. I liked reading about these events on the Internet as a result of my visit to Boronda Adobe History Center and thinking about the changes that have taken place in the Salinas and and Pajaro Valleys over the nearly 100 years between the building of the Boronda Adobe and the Bataan Death March. I also note that I was alive during World War II (having been born just six days after the men of Company C 194th Tank Battalion "On the morning of February 18, 1941...marched four abrest down Main Street...toward the train station" and that my sense of history changes as my life span seems to include more of it.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Brad,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog...especially where you mentioned Basha and me. Good luck on your trip, and I am looking forward to hearing more stories on New Year's Eve.

Keep turning-up those interesting War Memorial stories about the Bataan Death March.


Bruce

P.S. Do you need me to update you regarding the Republican Presidenital Primaries? This recent Obama surge is getting me very concerned.... Here's a link to the Michael Savage website so you can brush-up for our next encounter. http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/index.html

Anaheim Bob said...

Brad,
Farting Around is the perfect term for what you're up to on your sojourns. I think it's great that you find so many ways to enjoy yourself in your CB and the various places you find yourself. You'll probably understand why it is that your blog entries make me think of Granddad and smile, knowing that he'd love reading them. The two of you have many traits in common and that's a very good thing.
Anaheim Bob

Brad Smith said...

Dear Bruce and Anaheim Bob, Thank you both for your kind words.

Bruce, Thank you too for the reference to Michael Savage’s website. You’re correct to assume that in order to be prepared for our next get together I would need to brush-up on whatever inanities Savage has recently uttered. Even though he’s a graduate of U.C. Berkeley, I don’t believe the City of Berkeley’s fathers and mothers allow him to broadcast within City limits. I’m looking forward to our next discussion. Even thought we disagree on many issues, you are always a respectful and informed discussant.

Anaheim Bob, I couldn’t agree more about the kick I think Granddad would get out of this blog, but I can’t imagine him uttering the phrase, “farting around.” It’s a great compliment to be seen as sharing traits in common with Granddad. Thank you.

Brad