Saturday, October 2, 2010

Change in perspective

It’s fun for me to sometimes change my perspective from grand vistas to small creatures. One way I do this is by putting a macro lens on my Canon 20D; attaching a SmartFlash RF46 Digital Macro Ring Flash to the macro lens; and taking photographs of insects and spiders. The camera and flash are synced to permit shooting at 1/250th of a second at f/16. These settings will usually stop the movement of the bug and the inevitable movement of the plant the bug is sitting on. Shooting at f/16 provides a little depth of field, which is in short supply when shooting with a macro lens. I focus manually having found that on automatic the lens, almost malevolently, will put into focus something other than what I want to be in focus. Shooting with flash at 1/250th of a second and at f/16 will often leave the background dark, which is usually, but not always a good thing.

No comments: